Wednesday, December 30, 2009

soundings

Perhaps I am not alone in this: I have a yearning to play beautiful music. It swells in my breast. I am a lovelorn Victorian maiden. I feel melancholy, I am filled with anticipation. Will my beloved meet me? ... This longing has been blossoming for years. It has seeded in the heart of a woman who is also unnaturally gifted in the art of resistance. I look with wonder, and some envy, as my partner flows to the piano like a bee to a flower, and sits for hours until a bodily need or wifely demand topples him from his stool. I know there is music in me. I ache with it. At times it pours into my hands. My fingers grow fat with a longing to draw honey from the keyboard. To suckle until the magic moment when that instrument can do nothing else but let-down with the sweetest of milk. I start to see now that we are in relationship, whether refusing or succumbing to the love call. It is mute when I am mute. If we are to make music we need one another: I cannot play without it; it cannot play without me. Tonight I sat down with a book. I played three inversions of two chords again and again and again. I stumbled about, brow furrowed, as the author of my jazz book called on me to start improvising on a five note pentatonic scale. A what? I have begun.

4 comments:

  1. Jazz is the most difficult, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could well be right! But it looks like a good book - and it's got a cd. Here's hoping (along with doing...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you Pam. Happy New Year and may you and music keep talking to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A belated thanks and greeting to you too Kay. I hope your year is off to a rollicking good start. I appreciate being able to link up like this.

    ReplyDelete